On January 1, 2017, our Olentangy Liberty High School Band has the honor of marching and performing in the London’s New Year’s Day Parade (that’s London, England – not Ohio)! The band was formally invited during a personal visit from Lord Mayor Catherine Longworth of The City of Westminster and Executive Director Robert Bone in September of 2015.
We are very excited about this opportunity, and as you can imagine, there are many activities and fundraisers needed to make it a success. We encourage all students and parents to get involved early to participate in the preparations.
How did this happen?
As many may know, the band traveled to London for the parade in 2012/13 and performed for millions (including the Queen). After their performance, they received an open invitation to return.
The trip is managed by a company called Youth Music of the World, and the program is much more than just airfare and lodging. Please see the list of inclusions below.
We will be staying at The Cumberland Hotel in London:
Who is going?
Obviously the band members are invited, but others will be joining as well:
- Staff members
- Parent chaperones – each chaperone is responsible for a small group of students throughout the trip.
- Other family – siblings, non-chaperoning parents, grandparents can also take advantage of the program and join.
The total estimated cost per person is $3,285. There will be some incidental expenses in the country beyond that (souvenirs, etc.), but the list of inclusions is rather extensive. A fundraising committee is working hard to provide options to allow your son or daughter the opportunity to offset as much of the cost of the trip as possible.
Also available is a “land-only” program that includes everything in the package except airfare. This is a great option for anyone who wishes to extend the trip or who is traveling from a different location. The total cost of the land program is $2,150.
(all payments are per person)
- $200 due Dec 15, 2015 ($100 for land program only)
- $600 due Feb 8, 2016 ($300 for land program only)
- $600 due May 5, 2016 ($400 for land program only)
- $1,000 due Sep 6, 2016 ($800 for land program only)
Final Payment: $885 due Oct 25, 2016 ($550 for land program only)
NOTE: final payment may differ due to variations in airline, airport, & government taxes, fees, charges, and surcharges or currency exchange plus any further payments due for selected extras.
The first deposit is non-refundable. All other deposits are refundable until May 1, 2016. No refunds will be made after that date unless the specific traveler falls within the cancelation provisions of the YMOTW included insurance coverage.
The following are included in the price of the trip:
- Round trip economy class air travel
- All transportation while in London
- 6 nights accommodations in a hotel in London
- 6 continental breakfasts at the hotel
- 3 dinners at the hotel
- 3 vouchers ($19 each) for meals in London restaurants
- Sack lunch for day of parade
- Three tours
- Personal MP3 player with pre-loaded self-guided tours
- London Day Travelcard good for use on the tube for entire visit
- New Year’s Eve party for students
- 8×10 photograph
- New Year’s Day Festival medal
- Grandstand seating for parade
- Full-time tour assistant
- Travel insurance
- Tips and taxes for all service providers except residential tour assistant
All travelers must complete an intent form that should be turned into Mr. Hicks.